(full site)
Fark.com

Back To Main
   Florida and old people. What would you expect?

24 Feb 2013 12:37 PM   |   7439 clicks   |   Sun Sentinel
Showing 1-50 of 66 comments
Refresh Page 2
View Comments:
bump     
"It's their responsibility to have network adequacy," Negron said of the private providers. "So, they'll be responsible for making sure people can get care with network physicians."

Negron, please...

24 Feb 2013 12:40 PM
edmo    [TotalFark]  
Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.

24 Feb 2013 12:42 PM
MFAWG     
Isn't this a case where the Free Market will correct the situation? Doctors will start commanding higher salaries, and more people will go to medical school?

Or does the vaunted free market not actually work that way?

24 Feb 2013 12:43 PM
Mrtraveler01     

edmo: Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.


The private sector/free market would take care of this without any trouble.

/sarcasm

24 Feb 2013 12:44 PM
Amphipath     
a.tgcdn.netView Full Size

24 Feb 2013 12:44 PM
FunkOut    [TotalFark]  
I would expect more old people smell.

24 Feb 2013 12:44 PM
Huggermugger     
First of all, there should be an eyebleach warning for any article that contains a photo of the evil skull of Rick Scott.

Second, I'm sure that there is a shortage of doctors, but this shortage is also a fear-factor that's being heavily promoted by teabagger ideology as a failing of Obamacare.  Rick Scott would love nothing more than to turn everything over to his health clinics, which are staffed almost entirely by underpaid nurses and PAs.

The solution to the problem is largely to increase the number of Physician Assistants.  We already have a nursing surplus, since nursing was heavily advertised as a "win-win" educational field in the last 20 years.  Training larger number of PAs would decrease the need for physicians.  Anyone who's been to the doctor in the last 10 years knows from experience how little attention the MD actually pays to the patient, and how little time is spent with a patient during an appointment.  It's the support staff that does the actual work.

24 Feb 2013 12:46 PM
Jon iz teh kewl     
www.trbimg.comView Full Size


i want medical marijuana.  but i'm too poor!

24 Feb 2013 12:46 PM
wambu     
I'm sure there are plenty of doctors hwo have lost their licenses in other states that would welcome an opportunity tio start over. All their mistakes in Florida will be buried sooner or later.

24 Feb 2013 12:48 PM
ZzeusS     

MFAWG: Isn't this a case where the Free Market will correct the situation? Doctors will start commanding higher salaries, and more people will go to medical school?

Or does the vaunted free market not actually work that way?



Strange thing about public service medicine.  It pays crap.

If you can do the exact same thing and get paid half, why would you ever accept that type of insurance?

24 Feb 2013 12:48 PM
Frankenstorm     
Old news is so exciting.

24 Feb 2013 12:50 PM
jjorsett     

MFAWG: Isn't this a case where the Free Market will correct the situation? Doctors will start commanding higher salaries, and more people will go to medical school?

Or does the vaunted free market not actually work that way?


When the compensation paid to physicians for treating patients is dictated by the government, you don't have a free market, and you won't get a free-market-like response. Government controls result in scarcity which results in rationing.

24 Feb 2013 12:51 PM
unlikely    [TotalFark]  
If the poors can see doctors, the rich will suffer. No one wants that.

24 Feb 2013 12:53 PM
LewDux    [TotalFark]  

24 Feb 2013 12:57 PM
jjorsett     

unlikely: If the poors can see doctors, the rich will suffer. No one wants that.


The rich aren't going to suffer one bit. They'll go to one of the boutique practices that don't take government or insurance money. These exist already and more are  being formed every day as the better doctors get fed up and realize that they can make more money with far less hassle if they just deal with people who are willing to pay cash.

24 Feb 2013 12:59 PM
MemoryInMotion     
Medicaid is not Medicare.  Medicaid covers infants and older, Medicare covers 65+, but Medicaid can supplement Medicare when it comes to nursing facility care.

24 Feb 2013 01:02 PM
Kevin72    [TotalFark]  
2.bp.blogspot.comView Full Size

24 Feb 2013 01:04 PM
Resident Muslim     
I read the headline and expected many possibilities:
-"Stuck gas pedal"
-Viagra related death
-old folks' home scandal
-fake investment opportunities
-old people freezing to death as temperatures approach the 50s
-old person robbing a bank to get food and shelter.

/So on
//So forth
///So slash

24 Feb 2013 01:08 PM
Clemkadidlefark     
ObamaCare™

This is what we expect from Hopey Changey

/that means adults

24 Feb 2013 01:11 PM
Mrtraveler01     

Clemkadidlefark: ObamaCare™

This is what we expect from Hopey Changey

/that means adults


0/10

Obviously the better alternative would've been to just let people stay uninsured and just die, correct?

24 Feb 2013 01:14 PM
clowncar on fire     
Let's offer medical for all without being able to actually provide that medical care.

We need more doctors, PA's, and other top end elite.  Lots are ready to retire now, those with 5 years or less to a planned retirement are considering early retirement as a result of heavier, lower re-imbursement patient loads, and the high cost of malpractice insurance.  Some have taken up specialties where they can pick their patient load.

Limited docs and PA's means limited ability to provide service.  High demand means high costs.  Basic economics.  One of those costs will be doctors retiring early but it will also mean less doctors entering the field as a life of heavy patient populations along with the greater risk of malpractice and the higher paid premiums that come along with it, and  lower compensation for the service rendered.

Not a good picture.

24 Feb 2013 01:15 PM
clowncar on fire     

Mrtraveler01: edmo: Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.

The private sector/free market would take care of this without any trouble.

/sarcasm


Actually they are starting to fill in the gap.  Walmarts are offering basic medical care as are many other large chains.  Most hospital chains have expanded their realms by purchasing or establishing smaller immediate care centers and clinics, day surgeries, and specialty clinics.

24 Feb 2013 01:20 PM
LordOfThePings     
i.qkme.meView Full Size

24 Feb 2013 01:33 PM
Slam1263     
Can't we just keep the old system.

You know, the one were if you were at 70% over the poverty level, you could get free healthcare from the Feds.

Oh, you promised Big Pharma, Big Insurance, and Big Hospital, guarenteed profits in exchange for political donations.

That's makes it ok. Suck it DR's, PA's, and RN's.

Work for the rooster sucker for free. Just imagine the quality healthcare you are going to get from someone working under these conditions.

It'll really help control our population growth.

24 Feb 2013 01:34 PM
Mrtraveler01     

Slam1263: Can't we just keep the old system.

You know, the one were if you were at 70% over the poverty level, you could get free healthcare from the Feds.


I thought you guys were about saving money.

Are you actually saying that making people go to the ER for minor health problems just because they don't have insurance is actually a good thing?

24 Feb 2013 01:37 PM
MFAWG     

jjorsett: MFAWG: Isn't this a case where the Free Market will correct the situation? Doctors will start commanding higher salaries, and more people will go to medical school?

Or does the vaunted free market not actually work that way?

When the compensation paid to physicians for treating patients is dictated by the government, you don't have a free market, and you won't get a free-market-like response. Government controls result in scarcity which results in rationing.


If only there was a pool of billions of dollars made profiting from human misery that could used to solve the imbalance. If only.

24 Feb 2013 01:42 PM
movieman_1979     

Clemkadidlefark: ObamaCare™

This is what we expect from Hopey Changey

/that means adults


Whew, thank god you arrived. Almost 20 comments down and we were lacking a bridge troll blaming Obama. I was worried that a ripple in time was being produced.

24 Feb 2013 01:43 PM
TuteTibiImperes    [TotalFark]  
FTA:

Of all patients, people covered by Medicaid may have the hardest time finding a doctor; only 59 percent of the state's physicians are taking new Medicaid patients, according to a Kaiser Health News study.


Well, there's the problem.  Pass a law that a condition of holding a license to practice medicine is that you have to accept any Medicare/Medicaid patient that  comes to you.  This would of course be even easier if we'd just move to a single payer system where Medicare becomes the only insurer, everyone pays in, and everyone receives the same level of care.

24 Feb 2013 01:46 PM
Mind the Gap     
Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

24 Feb 2013 01:54 PM
grimlock1972     
heres an idea do something to cut the cost of a medical degree and you will get more students studying to be doctors.

24 Feb 2013 02:03 PM
KimNorth     

edmo: Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.


Please.... Baby boomer are only  an increase of almost 15 million employeesretiring from 2004 to 2014.
What do you think an increase of 11 million new citizens which we all know from the last amnesty turns out to be 3 times the number given happens?
Forget the baby boomers....

24 Feb 2013 02:05 PM
KimNorth     

Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?


So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??

24 Feb 2013 02:09 PM
TuteTibiImperes    [TotalFark]  

KimNorth: edmo: Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.

Please.... Baby boomer are only  an increase of almost 15 million employeesretiring from 2004 to 2014.
What do you think an increase of 11 million new citizens which we all know from the last amnesty turns out to be 3 times the number given happens?
Forget the baby boomers....


If you are referring to immigration, it would be a good thing.  Currently illegal immigrants aren't paying into the system, but are using the resources.  Provide a path to citizenship for everyone currently in the country, collect taxes on their income, and instead of a drain on resources they become a source of income.   Trying to correlate illegal immigrants with retiring boomers doesn't make sense - the immigrants are by and large well under retirement age.  Most of them can and will work and pay taxes for decades to come.

24 Feb 2013 02:16 PM
Jon iz teh kewl     

KimNorth: Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??


jesus fark we're just atlking about 1500 calories instead of 1800

24 Feb 2013 02:18 PM
KimNorth     

TuteTibiImperes: KimNorth: edmo: Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.

Please.... Baby boomer are only  an increase of almost 15 million employeesretiring from 2004 to 2014.
What do you think an increase of 11 million new citizens which we all know from the last amnesty turns out to be 3 times the number given happens?
Forget the baby boomers....

If you are referring to immigration, it would be a good thing.  Currently illegal immigrants aren't paying into the system, but are using the resources.  Provide a path to citizenship for everyone currently in the country, collect taxes on their income, and instead of a drain on resources they become a source of income.   Trying to correlate illegal immigrants with retiring boomers doesn't make sense - the immigrants are by and large well under retirement age.  Most of them can and will work and pay taxes for decades to come.


But are we not talking about having enough doctors to go around? Not about the age of the client. But I guess you are right, they are here using the system anyway doctors and all already so what is the difference.

24 Feb 2013 02:20 PM
Jon iz teh kewl     

KimNorth: TuteTibiImperes: KimNorth: edmo: Just the boomers hitting Medicare is going to tax the system. Just think how that huge bubble in the population demographics will work on health care, waiting times, premium costs, etc.

Please.... Baby boomer are only  an increase of almost 15 million employeesretiring from 2004 to 2014.
What do you think an increase of 11 million new citizens which we all know from the last amnesty turns out to be 3 times the number given happens?
Forget the baby boomers....

If you are referring to immigration, it would be a good thing.  Currently illegal immigrants aren't paying into the system, but are using the resources.  Provide a path to citizenship for everyone currently in the country, collect taxes on their income, and instead of a drain on resources they become a source of income.   Trying to correlate illegal immigrants with retiring boomers doesn't make sense - the immigrants are by and large well under retirement age.  Most of them can and will work and pay taxes for decades to come.

But are we not talking about having enough doctors to go around? Not about the age of the client. But I guess you are right, they are here using the system anyway doctors and all already so what is the difference.


media.tumblr.comView Full Size


doctor's associates - SUBWAY

24 Feb 2013 02:21 PM
Mind the Gap     
I would love to know how many doctor-hours are taken up a year by people who don't really want or need to go to the doctor for a cold but have to because of work/school rules that state that they must have a doctor's note to excuse their absence?  That right there is a huge unneeded waste of time and money.

24 Feb 2013 02:28 PM
KimNorth     

Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??

jesus fark we're just atlking about 1500 calories instead of 1800


What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

24 Feb 2013 02:29 PM
Jon iz teh kewl     

KimNorth: Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??

jesus fark we're just atlking about 1500 calories instead of 1800

What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....


but what if you PRINT your food with a 4D printer?
that can transcend space and time, so you never have to feed it proper nutrients, like lettuce and tomatoes??

24 Feb 2013 02:31 PM
clowncar on fire     

TuteTibiImperes: FTA:

Of all patients, people covered by Medicaid may have the hardest time finding a doctor; only 59 percent of the state's physicians are taking new Medicaid patients, according to a Kaiser Health News study.

Well, there's the problem.  Pass a law that a condition of holding a license to practice medicine is that you have to accept any Medicare/Medicaid patient that  comes to you.  This would of course be even easier if we'd just move to a single payer system where Medicare becomes the only insurer, everyone pays in, and everyone receives the same level of care.


Why not pass laws making unemployed people take whatever job is available so they can afford medical attention or people on welfare clen the streets in exchange for food stamps?

You make it mandatory for docs to take new patients, they will simply retire or move elsewhere where the law doesn't apply.

Let's see if we can come up with some creative ways of introducing more docs into the system so the division of labor supporting the medicaid folks would be more equitable and bearable.

Maybe Government ought to get into the doctoring business recruiting docs who specifically cater to the medicaid and medicare crowd. Recruit a bunch now and start funding education for those willing to give back by working for uncle Sam for 5-7 years upon completion of school.  If they like it, they can re-up every 5 years and retire after 20 years service.  I've got a great name for this branch of government service: The US Medi-corp.

24 Feb 2013 02:36 PM
i upped my meds-up yours     

KimNorth: What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....


Why is it people who spell WORK in all caps are always dickheads?

24 Feb 2013 02:39 PM
KimNorth     

Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??

jesus fark we're just atlking about 1500 calories instead of 1800

What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

but what if you PRINT your food with a 4D printer?
that can transcend space and time, so you never have to feed it proper nutrients, like lettuce and tomatoes??


Or what if you get off you fat butt and go out side plant some seeds and grow your own from those little packets with the 3D Picture of the "lettuce and tomatoes??"

24 Feb 2013 02:42 PM
Jon iz teh kewl     

i upped my meds-up yours: KimNorth: What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

Why is it people who spell WORK in all caps are always dickheads?


or spell out JOB

what's the point of their existances???  they must have had someone when they were really young make a BIG farkING DEAL about why they needed a job, and why it didn't matter where they worked, or if they even ENJOYED their work.  as long as they were bringing home a paycheck

24 Feb 2013 02:42 PM
clowncar on fire     

i upped my meds-up yours: KimNorth: What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

Why is it people who spell WORK in all caps are always dickheads?


Probably because to the have nots,  having a job has become synonymous with being a dickhead.

24 Feb 2013 02:45 PM
KimNorth     

i upped my meds-up yours: KimNorth: What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

Why is it people who spell WORK in all caps are always dickheads?


Only to those who don't WORK and live with mom and dad on the Government dime.

That's not you I'm sure tell us how you're some kind of rocket scientist that just got some super secret contract with the CIA sport.

24 Feb 2013 02:47 PM
clowncar on fire     

clowncar on fire: i upped my meds-up yours: KimNorth: What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

Why is it people who spell WORK in all caps are always dickheads?

Probably because to the have nots,  having a job has become synonymous with being a dickhead.


Or maybe they are emphesizing exactly what the difference is that allows the them to have the few extra privilges that the non-employed feel equally entitled to.

24 Feb 2013 02:49 PM
Jon iz teh kewl     

KimNorth: Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??

jesus fark we're just atlking about 1500 calories instead of 1800

What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

but what if you PRINT your food with a 4D printer?
that can transcend space and time, so you never have to feed it proper nutrients, like lettuce and tomatoes??

Or what if you get off you fat butt and go out side plant some seeds and grow your own from those little packets with the 3D Picture of the "lettuce and tomatoes??"


holy farking shiat
they make that garbage
in SEED FORM?

how gay

i just push print, and out comes a salad

24 Feb 2013 02:51 PM
TuteTibiImperes    [TotalFark]  

KimNorth: Jon iz teh kewl: KimNorth: Mind the Gap: Let's say 80% or so of the US population has swift, regular medical care now because they are in a position to have insurance.  Allowing the other 20% to also get regular medical care without bankrupting themselves would stretch the system thinner to reduce the speed of care for everyone.

Why do so many feel that it's better to have the 20% remain untreated rather than giving them an avenue toward a healthier life?

If you had 1000 kids in a school but only enough food to give 800 a full-sized meal, would you serve all 1000 a little less food or would you give 800 a full-sized meal and tell the other 200 hungry kids that they just don't have enough food right now?

So have them ALL malnourished BUT alive??

jesus fark we're just atlking about 1500 calories instead of 1800

What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....


The problem with allowing private hospitals that don't accept government-funded insurance is that if the private clients can pay more for services than government funded programs, there is little incentive for doctors to take on patients with the government care, which means fewer doctors (or doctors who aren't as good as the ones hired on by the private clinics) to cater towards the population who pay into and use the public option healthcare system.

Healthcare shouldn't be a luxury.  If you need life-saving or quality-of-life altering care, it shouldn't matter whether you make $20,000 a year or $20,000,000 - you should be able to see a doctor and have the condition addressed as quickly as possible.  If the wait times to see a doctor are too long in a publicly-funded system, then more doctors need to be hired on.  If there is not enough equipment to provide diagnostics for everyone who needs it, more machines need to be purchased.  If that means the costs go up, the costs go up, and of course those who make more money will need to pay more into the system, but if they're willing to buy private insurance anyway, they're already showing that they are willing to spend more to receive improved care.  The only difference would be that the extra cost is passed along in the form of taxes and the extra income into the system goes to benefit everyone, including those with lower incomes, instead of just the wealthy.

The only private non-government funded healthcare procedures should be purely elective cosmetic things like botox, breast augmentation, nose jobs, hair transplants, etc.  Quality-of-life cosmetic procedures like repairing hare-lips or reconstructive surgery following major accidents/assaults/burns/etc should of course be covered.

24 Feb 2013 02:51 PM
TuteTibiImperes    [TotalFark]  

clowncar on fire: TuteTibiImperes: FTA:

Of all patients, people covered by Medicaid may have the hardest time finding a doctor; only 59 percent of the state's physicians are taking new Medicaid patients, according to a Kaiser Health News study.

Well, there's the problem.  Pass a law that a condition of holding a license to practice medicine is that you have to accept any Medicare/Medicaid patient that  comes to you.  This would of course be even easier if we'd just move to a single payer system where Medicare becomes the only insurer, everyone pays in, and everyone receives the same level of care.

Why not pass laws making unemployed people take whatever job is available so they can afford medical attention or people on welfare clen the streets in exchange for food stamps?

You make it mandatory for docs to take new patients, they will simply retire or move elsewhere where the law doesn't apply.

Let's see if we can come up with some creative ways of introducing more docs into the system so the division of labor supporting the medicaid folks would be more equitable and bearable.

Maybe Government ought to get into the doctoring business recruiting docs who specifically cater to the medicaid and medicare crowd. Recruit a bunch now and start funding education for those willing to give back by working for uncle Sam for 5-7 years upon completion of school.  If they like it, they can re-up every 5 years and retire after 20 years service.  I've got a great name for this branch of government service: The US Medi-corp.


I'm all for requiring those on welfare to work, and if no other job is available assigning them public service style positions so that at least society receives some return on the investment.  I'd also be for a major update to the welfare/food-stamps qualifications so that those who use those programs don't get kicked off and end up in worse financial shape just because they do take a job and the only job they can get doesn't pay much.

Government funded medical school in exchange for serving for a number of years in underserved fields and/or underserved locations also makes a ton of sense, I'd be all for that.

If mandating that all medical professionals must accept Medicare/Medicaid and provide the same level of care as they would to a privately insured individual was done at the federal level, the doctors couldn't just move to a new location.  Sure, they could leave the country, but most other countries pay doctors less than we do and already have compulsory single-payer healthcare systems.  I don't think we'd see a mass exodus.

24 Feb 2013 03:01 PM
Mrtraveler01     

clowncar on fire: clowncar on fire: i upped my meds-up yours: KimNorth: What you are talking about is what they tried in Canada and the folks who could do so paid for additional medical insurance that allowed them to get faster care at privet care clinics the poor screamed that it was not fair!!! They almost pass a law that people could not pay for better care!!! But level heads won out and those who WORK and or can pay do so. My point no matter what you do how you slice it the so called have nots and or hands outs will biach. You can't make people live like the charity cases you are trying to help.....

Why is it people who spell WORK in all caps are always dickheads?

Probably because to the have nots,  having a job has become synonymous with being a dickhead.

Or maybe they are emphesizing exactly what the difference is that allows the them to have the few extra privilges that the non-employed feel equally entitled to.


I have a job too. But I don't laugh at or judge the ones who don't.

Something must be wrong with me then.

24 Feb 2013 03:02 PM
Showing 1-50 of 66 comments
Refresh Page 2
View Comments:
This thread is closed to new comments.


Back To Main

More Headlines:
Main | Sports | Business | Geek | Entertainment | Politics | Video | FarkUs | Contests | Fark Party | Combined