Real News. Real Funny.

Comments

  • Well that puts a damper on things
  • This is green light material??
  • FTFA: "After initial investigations they used a ladder, special chimney equipment and a thermal imaging camera to locate and put out the fire, which was in a wood burning stove."

    That all seems rather over-engineered. Aren't they just going to dump water on the stove and down the chimney anyway?
  • You're supposed to play with Log, not burn it!

    Also, the fire was small enough that they needed thermal imaging equipment to find it? Was it Predator stealth fire?
  • Mutt Farkinov: This is green light material??


    Reminds me of my small hometown newspaper when "Lost Badger Located" made the front page.
  • With a good stove, you can cut off the airflow to the chimney and cut off the airflow into the stove. Of course, some people don't clean their damn chimneys.
  • Uh, yeah, if this is to be even slightly worthy of the greenlight, it is to remind folks that creosote buildup means cleaning the chimney every single year, even if you've only used the fireplace a few times. Do it (or schedule it) now, before the weather makes it impractical.
  • whatshisname: Well that puts a damper on things


    Over. Goodnight, everyone.
  • jimmyego: FTFA: "After initial investigations they used a ladder, special chimney equipment and a thermal imaging camera to locate and put out the fire, which was in a wood burning stove."

    That all seems rather over-engineered. Aren't they just going to dump water on the stove and down the chimney anyway?


    Your post strikes a cord.
  • jimmyego: FTFA: "After initial investigations they used a ladder, special chimney equipment and a thermal imaging camera to locate and put out the fire, which was in a wood burning stove."

    That all seems rather over-engineered. Aren't they just going to dump water on the stove and down the chimney anyway?


    I would pay good money to watch that.
  • Vector R: You're supposed to play with Log, not burn it!

    Also, the fire was small enough that they needed thermal imaging equipment to find it? Was it Predator stealth fire?


    blogs.plimoth.orgView Full Size
  • Mutt Farkinov: This is green light material??


    Slow news day + headline with bad pun = automatic greenlight.
  • Sounds like the homeowner needs sweeping changes to how their maintain their fireplace and chimney.
  • King Something: Mutt Farkinov: This is green light material??

    Slow news day + headline with bad pun = automatic greenlight.


    Beats hanging out in the climate change wharrbarrgl thread, so it's got that going for it.
  • MooseUpNorth: Uh, yeah, if this is to be even slightly worthy of the greenlight, it is to remind folks that creosote buildup means cleaning the chimney every single year, even if you've only used the fireplace a few times. Do it (or schedule it) now, before the weather makes it impractical.


    Also, don't burn garbage in your fireplace or stove and don't burn magazines.
  • FunkOut: MooseUpNorth: Uh, yeah, if this is to be even slightly worthy of the greenlight, it is to remind folks that creosote buildup means cleaning the chimney every single year, even if you've only used the fireplace a few times. Do it (or schedule it) now, before the weather makes it impractical.

    Also, don't burn garbage in your fireplace or stove and don't burn magazines.


    Or cedar.
  • My sister just had two squirrels get into her chimney in the last few weeks; get those things cleaned and checked for rodents :P
  • Looking at that pic of Kardashian's ass at the bottom of the page...she's getting all cottage-cheesy now.
  • ladyfortuna: My sister just had two squirrels get into her chimney in the last few weeks; get those things cleaned and checked for rodents :P


    I remember taking a bat out of the stove during the summer. He was hanging on the inside of the glass nearly dead from dehydration. Took him out with the dustpan, stuck him on the front porch next to a bowl of sugar water, and he flew away after a couple hours after filling up.
  • jimmyego: FTFA: "After initial investigations they used a ladder, special chimney equipment and a thermal imaging camera to locate and put out the fire, which was in a wood burning stove."

    That all seems rather over-engineered. Aren't they just going to dump water on the stove and down the chimney anyway?


    That'll ruin the chimney and stove. There's a small road-flare looking thing that you can toss into the firebox that generates tons of vapours that extinguish the fire without the thermal shock of dumping cold water down the flue.
  • wonder if the home owner had to pay for it all, or did they split it?
    but it sounds more like the fire crew made an ash of themselves.

    After initial investigations they used a ladder, special chimney equipment and a thermal imaging camera to locate and put out the fire, which was in a wood burning stove.

    after all, isn't that where a wood fire belongs?
  • FunkOut: MooseUpNorth: Uh, yeah, if this is to be even slightly worthy of the greenlight, it is to remind folks that creosote buildup means cleaning the chimney every single year, even if you've only used the fireplace a few times. Do it (or schedule it) now, before the weather makes it impractical.

    Also, don't burn garbage in your fireplace or stove and don't burn magazines.


    Good place for my semi-CSS: Sitting in my room one night last winter, suddenly our local fire department comes sirening down the street and stops...at my house! Well, at the townhouse two doors down. They get out, there's some minor commotion, and then they leave. My mom goes down the block to find out what transpired.

    Turns out our neighbor decided to burn some trash and scrap wood in their fireplace. Which, like all of the fireplaces in our complex, is gas. And not designed for burning wood or paper. We've since discovered that neighbor is in the early stages of dementia.

    Do make sure, before burning anything in your fireplace, that it doesn't have a gas line running under it!
  • Came here to strike a cord or put a damper on things. Leaving, full of shame. I've been scooped.
  • Gyrfalcon: FunkOut: MooseUpNorth: Uh, yeah, if this is to be even slightly worthy of the greenlight, it is to remind folks that creosote buildup means cleaning the chimney every single year, even if you've only used the fireplace a few times. Do it (or schedule it) now, before the weather makes it impractical.

    Also, don't burn garbage in your fireplace or stove and don't burn magazines.

    Good place for my semi-CSS: Sitting in my room one night last winter, suddenly our local fire department comes sirening down the street and stops...at my house! Well, at the townhouse two doors down. They get out, there's some minor commotion, and then they leave. My mom goes down the block to find out what transpired.

    Turns out our neighbor decided to burn some trash and scrap wood in their fireplace. Which, like all of the fireplaces in our complex, is gas. And not designed for burning wood or paper. We've since discovered that neighbor is in the early stages of dementia.

    Do make sure, before burning anything in your fireplace, that it doesn't have a gas line running under it!


    A CSB to go along with that one...had a lady a while back who started a fire in her fireplace, never having actually noticed there was no chimney exiting through the roof. Her dad had gifted the house to her a year or two before.
  • Load 5 of 5 newer comments

This thread is closed to new comments.